Player of the Year - Women
Bendigo Bank is the Sponsor for the DDGA Womens Player of the Year.
The DDGA Womens Player of the Year started in 1994, at the suggestion of Kerry Peterson, who was Dalhousie Womens Captain at the time.
District golf seemed to be aimlessly going around year after year, with no satisfactory conclusion, or reward for effort and attendance.
She believed that it would be good to have a suitable finale, which would act as encouragement for golfers to attend events right throughout the year, plus add another dimension to the DDGA Tournament and Bowl experiences for that year.
Kerry generously donated a perpetual Rose Bowl, to enable all winners names to be engraved upon it, and also designed the original brooch, cast by RUFFLES jewellers in Bendigo. This was produced by them for some years in solid 9ct gold, until the WGDD Committee, as it was then, made the decision to have all new brooches made in silver.
The Player of the Year is now an entrenched component of DDGA Club events and generates much interest within the district.
The trophy will be presented at the DDGA Australia Day 4BBB.
1. To be eligible to attain points, a player must be a financial member of a DDGA fully affiliated club.
2. Points will be awarded at all Club Bowls and Tournaments in the DDGA designated syllabus.
3. In 27 hole events, the 18 hole portion of the event will be used to allocate Player of the Year points.
4. Points are awarded to the top five (5) Nett or Stableford scores.
In the event of a count-back being required to ascertain places, the format used by the host club will be used.
5. Any player who is a member of the club hosting a particular event is ineligible to receive points on that day.
6. In the event of there being a tie for the Player of the Year at the end of the season,
the DDGA Match Committee will allocate a date following the last bowl or tournament,
preferably the Thursday of the next week, for an eighteen (18) hole stroke handicap playoff.
If scores still remain level, a countback as per Golf Australia guidelines will be used.
DDGA will pay the players green fees and the Dalhousie Womens Captain or her representative
will officiate and referee the day. The course will be neutral and central to the players involved (if possible).
Players may have caddies but must let each other know in advance.
7. If a player wins the Player of the Year more than once,
a gift voucher or trophy will be awarded, rather than another DDGA Medal.